Monday, December 10

Feline Panleukopenia Virus

That title is so unusual, right?

Well, that's the greatest gift I can have on my birthday. It really isn't. As cat-lovers out there may know, Feline Panleukopenia Virus, is the most INSIDIOUS cat disease. According to this site, it's the most highly infectious and quick-killing cat disease as well. On the other side, the people who know me must've know that tomorrow's my 21st birthday. I don't feel it, I really don't. I don't feel like celebrating as well.

So what's the point?


You should have a clue by now - that the disease that causes a "quick" death to cats (most probably to kittens) is also the main reason that I became not-so-excited-and-happy for my birthday. We have lots of cats in our house; the photo below will show.

Our Cat Family
They are all so happy and running around the house everyday, but that was a long time ago. Unfortunately, we have already lost three cats, which makes them only 10 by now. You do the math.

Last month, we lost the KING OF THE JUNGLE. We named him "Panganay," a Tagalog word for eldest. No, he didn't catch that friggin' virus, but he was struck by a tricycle. We have already accepted the accident and already got over it until a plague attacked the cat family.


My lovable, Ami
Ami, my Ami. :'(
Left are the cats who are so naughty, nice, sweet, noisy and all that... until last week, my favorite cat named AMi died mysteriously. It was fast. I didn't witness her struggles and wasn't even there to take care of her. It was sad and made me really frustrated. I thought about researching about what could've been the causes of her sudden death and I came up with the famous but dreaded Feline Panleukopenia Virus. It's also known as the "cat plague." When I first read about it's AKAs, that cat plague, it had really gotten inside me. The term already gave me an idea on how heavy and hard that virus is.

Through my research, I found out that it was very viral so my parents and I already assumed that some of our cats have already been infected. We're right. In fact, there already are five cats that are infected now. See how fast that killer cat virus is? What made us really sad is that we've read that it isn't curable. There's no medication that can kill the virus itself yet. Supportive therapy is the only thing we can do, and of course, TLC (Tender Loving Care).

Guess what, btw. Right on the night before my birthday, one among those five cats died. Yes, that's tonight. I cried. Mom did, and so was Father. These cats are part of our family and we do all our best to keep them healthy and happy. It's just so heartbreaking to think that a cat plague had came. Why's there such a thing? I don't understand why these cute little, loving creatures can be killed in an instant by something we can barely even see coming.

It's my fucking birthday tomorrow and I just don't care. I just don't want to see our cats dying anymore! We'll be asking a vet tomorrow to see what else can we do, despite the fact that there's no treatment for the virus yet. We'll see about that Supportive Therapy... support - that's the only thing we can give now and we've been giving all we got.

We were supposed to celebrate my birthday tomorrow, but I don't know. I don't think I can celebrate while thinking about these dying cats. I don't think I can celebrate while thinking about those cats who are already dead.

It's killing me now.

This goes out to everyone who have lost their pets, especially cats, in a very unacceptable way. I feel for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment